The End of Abaissé

Please read everything in here before continuing in this forum.
MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

The End of Abaissé

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:01 am

After nearly thirteen years of operation since its inception in summer of 2006, Abaissé will be closing in a matter of weeks.

I had said, for many years, that as long as people needed a meeting place to chat and find other Les Mis fans, Abaissé would be here. And I am pleased to say that purpose has been fulfilled many times and many years over. I had suffered the loss of an old forum (café frenchboys for any other fandom geezers old enough to remember) and hated the thought of fans milling separately on their own without a central meeting place.

But the internet has evolved in the past dozen years to where forums are as old-fashioned as Myspace or Napster. We have twitter, tumblr, snapchat, and various other forms of social media that makes it easier than ever to connect and find people -- and we have Discord.

My personal opinion is that Discord is one of the most amazing social media we have available today, as it combines the social chat aspect of old forums with voice chat. It's entirely free, it works great on smartphones and pcs alike, and you don't even have to install an app on your pc because you can use it on a website also! Most of the Discord servers I am part of have both multiple voice channels as well as multiple text chat channels, dedicated to different topics of discussion, and this is what I would reincarnate Abaissé into -- if it were not already done!

Our own deHavilland has a Discord channel, which I am in and which does have some discussion in it, and I'm sure it wouldn't be a terrible place for other people to join in :)

Part of the reason for me to close Abaissé was the many many hours I've spent MacGuyvering anti-bot measures onto this site just so my web host would not take down Abaissé forever. This is just not something you have to worry about on a Discord server or on tumblr/twitter/facebook groups, etc. The other part of the reason is that I've been basically paying $126 a year to run a decrepit and badly-aging forum that less than 3 dozen people regularly visit. That $126 is just not money I really want to part with anymore; but apart from that, I don't really want to be responsible for spending entire weekends banhammering Chinese bots by the IP anymore.

Unfortunately it will not be possible to transfer the site itself to another person or site. The amount and kind of work I've done on Abaissé just precludes any real exporting of files to be re-used on another domain -- I went through the hell of exporting Abaissé once when I set it up on the-barricade and that is not something that I could reasonably expect to work again. So -- and this is the important bit -- if there are any discussions or memes or links or pictures or fic or ANYTHING currently on Abaissé that you want to save for posterity or your own use, please save it NOW.

I'm not exactly certain when the site will die -- my host says after 60 days of nonpayment they can no longer guarantee site uptime, though whether that means the site instantly disappears on the 60th day I can't say. I will likely choose to just manually close the site, and an advance notice will be posted once I make that decision. If I chose to pay for another year the due date is April 25. I expect the site will disappear on its own in June if I just stopped paying; but I think I will likely just cancel manually and delete everything sometime in May, with another notice posted for the last day.

The domain the-barricade.net will also become available in time, at the end of this process. However, because I get the domain registration free as part of the site service I pay for I am not sure if it would be transferable to someone else. I will look into it, if anyone is interested in it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed most of my years running this site and have met through it a great number of awesome people. I have gone back and reread some of the topics with a grin on my face, just savouring the nostalgia of when these topics were in their heyday. I will miss it, but in truth, Abaissé's peak is long gone, and so it is time.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Auf die Barrikaden

Re: The End of Abaissé

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Thank you MmeJavert, thank you to all mods and all active users. So many awesome threads and discussions. After Le Cafe and the musicals.net board it's hard to take this loss. I will miss it, but I know I miss a time that's already gone.

Let others rise

to take our place

until the earth

is free!
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm going to see what I can do about making a static archive so the contents of the forum won't be lost.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:10 pm

I will miss this place. I don’t post much anymore because my job as an all day preschool teacher keeps me extremely busy but I do check in from time to time.

Thanks to all who helped to make Abaisse a great place for all us Mizzies.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:25 am

Also sad the site is closing, even though I don't visit very often anymore. I joined when the movie was released in 2012 and it's hard to believe it's been over six years since then. I agree on the format of forums feeling antiquated (although sometimes I still miss the LiveJournal format) and too vulnerable to spambots. It's just a pity the content would be lost.

I know it's likely the last day will be in May, but is there any way to make it the 5th of June?

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Farewell Abaisse!

I just was scrolling through all the old memories and friends I have made on here.
:cry: and now I'm nostalgic.

Ohhh an archive would be perfect Marianne!
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Return to “Important Information”